Re: [OM] "pro" metering?

Subject: Re: [OM] "pro" metering?
From: Lars Haven <lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 1999 21:25:00 +0100
Matthias Wilke wrote:

> Hello namesake,
>
> That is the same I think. On the other hand, I believe that professionals
> wonder sometimes about the endless seak for the very best picture quality
> of the amateurs, because for professionals the attendance is more important
> than the real (very) best picture quality. I have a friend, who is a pro
> photographer and he doesn't know anything about how many elemenent/groups
> has this or that lens. Another example is Fritz Pölkings (a professional)
> suggestion to combine the Nikon 80-200mm 1:4 zoom with a 1,4 converter, a
> short extension tube and a close focus lens at the same time. No amateur
> who fancies oneself to be like a professional would suggest such a
> combination.
>
> Matthias
>
> P.S. Dilettante is even more funny than amateur, isn't it ?

Like Matthias Ochs said, the pros have to deliver to get paid. If that
means some odd equipment, like the bizarre zoom, tele converter, e.t.c.
combination you mention so be it.
The distinguishing characteristic, IMHO, of a professional of any craft
is a (hopefully) thorough knowledge of the rules and methods - and of
how (s)he can get away with cheating without compromising the final result.

Regards
Lars
--
Lars Haven  <mailto:lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxx> http://isa.dknet.dk/~lhaven
"When writing about women, one must dip one's pen in a rainbow"