Re: [OM] "pro" metering?

Subject: Re: [OM] "pro" metering?
From: "Keith (R.K.) Berry" <keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 01:15:27 -0000
Matthias Wilke wrote:

>Why all the amateurs ... want to be like "pros" is a mystery to me.
>
>There is nothing wrong with being a "pro"-photographer BUT I enjoy being
>amateur and doing it for the love of photography and plain fun.

When I sold cameras for a living in the mid '60s we had several professional
customers, none of whom were very knowledgeable about photography in
general. They stuck rigidly to a procedure that worked for them and
questioned it only after something had gone drastically wrong, coming to us
for answers, and then 'cheerfully' abandoning their previous equipment for a
new system.

Some time after I left the shop, I was talked into becoming a wedding and
commercial photographer for a previous employer's studio and soon realised
that my amateur 35mm equipment, a Leica M2 outfit, just wasn't suitable, and
I sold it to help towards the purchase of medium and large format cameras.
After a year or so, the studio owner sold up and I was back to being an
amateur again, armed with cameras that could produce superb results but were
no fun to use at all. Within six months they had been sold and I was back to
35mm again (I'd kept the Pen FT throughout these transitions).

I realise that this tale is somewhat dated, but even today I feel that
trying to use a camera system for both amateur and professional purposes has
to involve compromises that will result in dissatisfaction at one level at
least. I can think of only one professional grade camera that I would be
happy to use as an amateur, and that's the colossally expensive Linhof Super
Technica IV.

Regards,
Keith
keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx