Re: [OM] Jumping the boat - was - Four new pictures

Subject: Re: [OM] Jumping the boat - was - Four new pictures
From: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 1999 22:29:12 -0600
On Sun, Jan 03, 1999 at 11:41:59PM +0200, Alexander wrote:
> The Leica R8, although heavy, handles like a dream. the R7 is perfect size!!!!
> Also, the Contax ST is light and superb...even the RX....

This is very much a matter of personal taste. To me, the OM-1/2/4 (and,
presumably, the 3 as well) are the perfect size and have everything where it
should be. My hands are small enough that larger cameras (be it the SRT-101
I started out with, or my dad's N8008, or nearly any other 35 SLR) feel big
and clunky to me. It's telling that my other favorite camera is a Leica
IIIc.

I tell people looking for a computer monitor that they should choose
carefully and keep foremost in their mind that they're gonna be staring at
the thing for hours on end. Similarly, I tell people looking to buy a camera
that they should hold it and work it and play with it and handle it for
quite a while before deciding - and that a primary concern when selecting is
to pick one that feels good to them, because a camera that doesn't feel good
is one that won't get carried around, and that's a camera that's just a
money pit. (FWIW, I give the same advice to people looking to buy a pistol,
and for the same reasons.)

The R7 may be perfect for you; for me, it's just too darned big.