Re: [OM] Olympus ES-10 scanner vs. others?

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus ES-10 scanner vs. others?
From: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 10:10:37 -0600
I'm pondering a film scanner as well. Because of my beliefs about system
performance, I will only consider SCSI devices, and since I already have
Photoshop 5, the included software isn't a concern to me (except for the
scanner driver). My dad has the Minolta; it works quite well if you use one
of the SCSI cards they list, and not at all if you don't. To me, this seems
like their SCSI implementation is a bit flaky; SCSI should be as plug and
play as it gets, as long as you follow the rules about bus length and
termination.

My chief concern is ease and quality of color correction at the scan step.
I'm partially colorblind, and so I can't depend on my own vision to do color
correction properly. I need the ability to load presets and have them do the
Right Thing, every time, and having to do that for every negative scanned is
not my idea of convenient. Beyond that, price is obviously a concern, and
quality as well, though not quite so much that I'll spend double to get a
moderate increase in resolution.

How does the ES-10 stack up, taking my needs into account? Anyone have other
suggestions?