[OM] OT : Medium format and digital photography

Subject: [OM] OT : Medium format and digital photography
From: Matthias Wilke <Matthias.K.Wilke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 21:51:53 +0200
Hi list members,

Have you noticed, that there are many activities in the medium format
business ?  First the main companies introduced TTL-flash (the old Olympus
trick) in the past few years for their cameras. Then Pentax introduced an
AF 645 in September 1997 with five new lenses. Then Zenza Bronica, after
being bought by Tamron, introduced new zoom and macro lenses for their 6 x
6 and 6 x 4,5 cameras. And this year, Contax will introduce an AF 6 x 4,5
camera. Also Hasselblad has introduced new cameras and lenses. I can
imagine two points, which may be responsible for this development and they
both have to do with digital photography in two different ways.

The first point is, that the digital cameras, which can be carried around,
will first achieve the quality of 35mm and then the medium format will be
left for better quality pictures (I think many professionals who take
photos for the press, will be the first who switch to digital equipment).

The second point is, that it is much more simple to attach an digital back
to medium format cameras than to 35mm cameras. Further the sensitive chip
can be greater with a digital back for medium format than with a 35mm back.

Matthias