Re: [OM] OT: Lordly Companies and mass-ware

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Lordly Companies and mass-ware
From: Matthias Wilke <Matthias.K.Wilke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 19:21:04 +0200
Jan wrote:

>Actually, USB and FireWire are totally different beasts. USB is to serial
>and parallel ports as FireWire is to SCSI or EIDE ports. USB is cheap and
>relatively slow, albeit MUCH faster than the serial ports it replaces.
>FireWire is fairly expensive, and super-fast.

I am an user of computers and not a technican, so it might be right that
these two *serial* buses (USB and FireWire) are totally different, but you
can buy digital video cameras or scanners for both buses and as a user, you
see, that the FireWire digital video cameras and scanners are much faster
than the USB versions.

>I think it's a fitting irony that MicroSoft and Intel have been pushing USB
>for years, with little attention from the industry, but it took Apple to
>bring it to the masses. Before the iMac, you couldn't buy a computer
>pre-configured with USB -- you had to add a card, with the attendant
>hassles -- and you could hardly buy a peripheral. Now there are
>super-floppies, interface converters, scanners, all coming out with USB and
>iMac support.

So the sudden appearance of USB in a mass-product by Apple might have to do
with a general interest to force USB which might be the interest of
Microsoft and Intel, too ?

By the way, concerning the comparison of the OM-1, which was thought to be
similar to a classic PC (with DOS ?), I want to mention that a camera is a
real thing and on a computer monitor the computer has to mimic real things.
In this regard it is very reasonable to use a graphic user interface. A
computer has so many planes that I think it is a kind of wrong ambition to
try to understand them (for an user).
Absolut ridiculous in this regard is the newest trend I have heard of, that
some of the most modern cameras start to mimic a computer.

Matthias