Re: [OM] OM Millenium Plans

Subject: Re: [OM] OM Millenium Plans
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 22:54:06 -0800
Warren Kato wrote:

>My New Year's resolution this year was to plan something involving OM cameras
>and doing something special for the turn of the century.
>
>1. The first idea was to shoot the rising sun from the top of Mount Fuji.
>The chance of clear weather will probably be 1% though.
>
>2. Another idea would be to take the first sunrise of the millenium.
>Tonga would appear to be the first spot in the world to see a sunrise
[snip]
>4. In California I could hike Mt. San Jacinto (10,800 feet), which provides a
>good view to the east and across Joshua Tree National Monument.
>
>5. Fly to Times Square [NYC], take pictures of drunk and delirious people.

Hmm, not bad, not bad at all!  But, read on...

>Any other ideas?

Sure, here are a few:

(a) Go to Jerusalem!  Watching the sun rise from Mt. Scopus or Mt. Olive
westwards, in direction of the Old City, is simply magical.  The weather
should be good, and there's a good chance to capture on film the Second
Coming of Christ, or the appearance of the Messiah on his white horse, or
a mass suicide of some crazy lunatics, or [insert your own scenario].
Spectacular scenery and a unique atmosphere are assured, the rest is up
in the air, but even if nothing happens -- one can hope for "take 2"
a year later. :-)

(b) Similar to (a), but in Istanbul, watching the "Golden Triangle" from
across the Bosphorus.  Weather would be more iffy than in Jerusalem, and
the "millennium mystique quotient" is uncertain.  Pack a long telephoto.

And, finally,

(c) If one'd rather cling to the 20-th century as long as possible, one
couldn't do any better than Hawaii.  Fly to Maui, and watch the sun set
for the last time in 1999 from atop Haleakala, the magnificent "House
of the Sun".  Then, party till morning at one of Maui's splendid resort
hotels.

Ooh, all this sounds soooooo good, that I think I should start selling
tour packages :-)

Happy New Year, everyone!

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, CA