Re: [OM] OM-2SP - the forgotten OM camera?

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-2SP - the forgotten OM camera?
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 23:57:47 -0800
Per Nordenberg wrote:

>why is it that everytime someone tries to list available/suitable
>OM cameras the OM-2S/P seems to be omitted ?
>
>As I see it there can be one of two reasons:
>1. Bad reputation of a troublesome camera with often defective circuit
>boards and abnormal battery consumption.
>2. Surprisingly low number of bodys sold.
>
>Could someone please explain this mystery to me?

I think the OM-2S, and the OM-PC!, have been given a bad rap on this
list only (or mostly!).  I consider both to be very good cameras, and
at their current prices -- bargains/steals.  The OM-PC is perfect for
a casual/amateur photographer, whereas the OM-2S is a terrific backup
for the OM-4/4T, esp. for those who find the OM-3/3Ti prices obscene.

>I know, it is not without drawbacks, but then again which camera is?

Exactly my sentiment.  In the past, I explained that if an OM-2n is
99% relaiable, and the OM-2S is only 97% reliable, then John H. sees
trice as many OM-2S's coming in for repairs.  From John's POV, the 2S
is a far less reliable OM body.  However, a potential buyer ought to
consider whether a 97% reliability is something he/she can live with.
I know I can.

(Of course, the above reliability numbers are ficticious, and are
used for illustration purposes only).

>I just happen to like it very much. A beautiful body with the most
>delicate (sexy ;-)) shutter sound I´ve ever heard ...

Oooh, you perv!  Well, just make sure it doesn't end on someone's
blue dress, or at least make sure that it gets to the laundry ;-)

>There was a discussion once in this list about the virtues of this
>camera, and in the first postings there was only negative remarks
>(most probably rightly so) from people with bad experiences. After
>a while someone (a brave someone) posted a positive judgement,

Hey, this "brave someone" was ... moi !!! :-)

>and then there suddenly was a whole bunch of people commenting that
>they were more than satisfied with their OM-2SPs.

Yup, it was fun to see all those happy but silent OM-2S owners emerge
out of the woodwork.

Hmm, this makes me wonder: there may be a secret ploy at work here
to keep the OM-2S prices depressed...  Hmm, some may even call it
"a vast OM-2S conspiracy". ;-)

Cheerios,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, CA