Re: [OM] End of the OM-2 line

Subject: Re: [OM] End of the OM-2 line
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 21:23:44 EST
schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< Rather than drop the OM-2S prices and risk cannibalizing the
 excellent sales of the OM-PC, Olympus decided to can the former.  >>

Gary,
I agree with your theory 100%. Olympus had the high end OM-4 and the OM-PC
for the beginner, so why not can the middle OM-2S and streamline the
production line?  (profits would increase since in theory [and actuality] and
they would still retain their upper and lower tier customers.

I really can't say enough good things about the OM-PC. Even the ESP metering,
which I can remember thinking was some kind of a gimmick, has saved a couple
of shots in difficult lighting situations, such as a strong reflection of the
sun in a photo. (it totally ignores the bright reflection) We may be advanced
or professional users who would take these situations into consideration
during the shooting, but the casual or amateur probably wouldn't recognize the
difficult situation. Olympus was right on in their thinking back then, if you
ask me.

George S.