Re: [OM] to anyone who is interested

Subject: Re: [OM] to anyone who is interested
From: Frank Ernens <fgernens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 21:12:15 +1100
PCACala@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi Alexander:
>
> > the temperature was -22 degrees celsius at the mountain's peak. the only
> >  camera that still functioned was the OM3Ti. It saved my day.
>
> That is why it was marketed.  For the most extremes of conditions.
> Unfortunately, not enough photographers have to put equipment to such tests
> and can justify a need for such a rugged camera.

I don't rock climb or go out in -22C, but I do hike in desert
and alpine regions and ski tour with my OM-1. Extreme heat is just
as much a problem to me as extreme cold. The OM-1 has stood up well.

I bought the OM-1 because all the hiking friends I had who
actually brought back slides from such trips used either
Nikon FM's or Olympus OM-1's, and the FM had a nasty little
93% viewfinder and a prong on the lens that scratched your
finger. It was also twice the price and looked like a 1950s
waffle iron.

I would have preferred and could have afforded a new OM-3,
but in 1985 they weren't available in Australia. Way back
then Oly was no longer serious about sales. They still aren't.
Where are all the endorsements from adventurers? Those would
be good for P&S sales too.

Olympus doesn't make a weatherized TTL/FP flash either. Who's
going to buy an OM3-Ti when their flash dies in the first
rainshower?