Re: [OM] OM-2S/P - the forgotten OM camera? (was: Four new pictures)

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-2S/P - the forgotten OM camera? (was: Four new pictures)
From: Frank Ernens <fgernens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 23:32:33 +1100
Per Nordenberg wrote:

> Frank Ernens wrote:
> >>The OM1 and OM2N are not very suitable cameras for mirror lenses.
> >>Animals tend to blend into their surroundings, so automatic
> >>exposure on the OM2N works well (stepless shutter speeds). Birds,
> >>on the other hand, are usually shot against sky or water, and I
> >>substitute meter on some foliage and then shoot on manual, losing
> >>the stepless speeds. In theory the exposure could be 1/2 stop out,
> >>but I got away with it with the film I used. Velvia is said to be
> >>much less forgiving. I need to do some more experiments with a
> >>faster film. On an OM4 one could use the spot meter on auto, which
> >>is still less convenient than manual if the bird is moving.
>
> I myself wrote:
> >Hey Frank, don´t forget there is actually also a more affordable OM
> >camera with spot meter in manual.

It doesn't matter *what* kind of meter you have, you still can't
get the exposure better than +- 1/2 stop in manual on any production
OM. Normally, when you've got the exposure correct for depth-of-field
and blur, or a compromise, you move the aperture ring by 1/3 stop
or so to get the exposure perfect. Mirror lenses have no aperture
control, so you can't do that.

BTW, the OM-1 actually has a really bad "gotcha" here. When you turn
the shutter speed ring, the meter moves continuosly, even though
the change is in discrete single stops. It's oh-so-easy to
fall into the trap of verniering on speed rather than aperture.
When I first got the OM-1, I didn't have the book and ruined a
few shots like this. The OM-2N, on the other hand, makes what
it does clear by the meter jumping as you turn the ring.

Aperture priority mode spot metering doesn't help, either, because
the bird doesn't fill the frame and you won't centre it. So you
need exposure lock, but almost all cameras with that either
require you to hold a button down or they cancel the value after
taking one frame. At dawn, I can get 10 minutes out of one
exposure setting, so what I want is *manual* exposure.

The OM2-SP can't use the spot meter in auto.

> Please forgive for holding on to this thread, but I simply can´t erase
> it from my mind. I´m certainly not trying to flame Frank Ernens here
> or anyone else for that matter, but why is it that everytime someone
> tries to list available/suitable OM cameras the OM-2S/P seems to be
> omitted (not in the FAQ thank God!).

I didn't try to list available OM's, since that's in the FAQ. When
I mentioned them, it was to illustrate points. The "OM-5" I mentioned
(and someone took seriously) was to demonstrate that there exists
at least one new feature, 1/6 stop shutter speeds, which could be
used to sell a new fully-mechanical fully-manual camera by a company
with an ounce of gumption.

>.. a useful snap-shot program mode.

I strongly believe that less can be more in ergonomics, and
would avoid any camera with one of those.