RE: [OM] End of the OM-2 line

Subject: RE: [OM] End of the OM-2 line
From: "Per Nordenberg" <per.nordenberg@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 15:47:01 +0100
-----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
Från: Pauls0627@xxxxxxx <Pauls0627@xxxxxxx>
Till: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Datum: den 7 januari 1999 15:13
Ämne: Re: [OM] End of the OM-2 line

>In a message dated 1/7/99 8:38:33 AM Eastern Standard Time,
>richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>
><< This business about the 2SP being based on the 4 puzzles me - I
have both
> and they look completely different to me.  The top plate controls
are in
> different places, the prism housings are a different shape, the
viewfinder
> illumination window's in a different place, among other things.  The
> shutters sound quite different too.  Just what *do* they have in
common? >>

>I think the commonalities are deeper inside. Particularly in the
metering.
>Both have similar, if not identical, silicon cells in the bottom of
the mirror
>chamber, using similar (identical?) sub-mirrors for metering. In an
attempt to
>make the OM-2S like the OM-2(n) as much as possible, the
ISO/compensation dial
>was left intact, and the LCD display in the finder was moved to the
left side,
>which necessitated the movement of the illumination window.
Personally, I
>prefer the LCD on the bottom, mostly because I tend to block the
illumination
>window on the OM-2S with my fat fingers, especially with the winder
mounted. I
>have to agree about the shutter sound, though. I would assume
different air
>dampeners?
>
>Paul Schings

I guess the positioning of the LCD illumination window on the OM-2S/P
is one of the drawbacks on this camera. Not only because of the
possible blocking by fingers (though less risk with winder attached?)
but also because it should have been placed a little higher so that
more light could have entered. As it is now one must use the LCD
illumination button quite often when working in low light, and the
batteries will suffer accordingly.

BTW, I know the shutter sound of my OM-2SP, but in what way is the
OM-4 sound different? Which is the most quiet? My guess is the
OM-2S/P.

Per Nordenberg