[OM] Battery consumtion of OMs

Subject: [OM] Battery consumtion of OMs
From: Richard Schaetzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 19:07:47 +0100
Hello Olympians,

this one is a little bit long, but I received so many mails regarding
this topic.

Jim wrote:

> I wonder is there any of such battery drain in the OM-3Ti?
> If no, then Olympus should replace all OM-4 and OM-4Ti with battery problem
> with
> the new circuit used by the OM-3Ti free of charge.

How should an OM-3Ti circuit work in an OM-4Ti?

Per wrote:

> Another difference between these two cameras is that the batteries are
> drained in the OM-2S/P even if not used.

There has to be battery drain because all second generation OMs are
permanent in stand-by mode. Otherwise switch-on of the camera meter
would not work, the circuit has to check if the trigger button has been
pressed.

There is no battery drain problem.

If your circuits are faulty, then you will have other problems than
battery consumtion.
If your using alkaline or lithium cells, dump the crap and use
silveroxide cells.

Giles wrote:

> Too much is made of this problem IMO.

Yeah yeah..

> Some 2Sps and 4s develop this
> problem, but not all of them.  The requisite battery - 357 - is very
> cheap compared with say the lithium battery in a Nikon F601.

Just compare how many films you can expose with one set:

Nikon states 75 (theoretical) films per battery.
The OM-2SP book by the Olympus author M.Huber says that you can
theortical expose 400 films with one set of cells.

Alexander wrote:

> The greatest annoying
> feature of the OM4T is when used with a telescope. Keeping the the shutter
> open seems to EAT the battery like if it was sushi. I mean the camera is
> hungry. I never go anywere without 10 spare batteries for my OM4T,so I hope
> this new battery will change things...

1 minute exposure in Auto mode consums as much energy as 3600 exposures
of 1/60.
Why don´t you use the "B" seting of the shutter?

I once used alkaline cells in an OM-2 (no drain) to check out. They were
dead within two weeks.

I owned OM-2SP and OM-4 and OM-4Ti and I never noticed any differnce in
battery consumtion between the models. Normaly I had to change batteries
once or twice a year. Neither the OM-2SP nor the OM-4 (first circuit
version) showed an pattern of exessive battery consumtion.
I asked several other OM-2SP owner if they have noticed exessive battery
consumption, nobody did.

Regards

Richard