RE: [OM] Battery drain and a new listee

Subject: RE: [OM] Battery drain and a new listee
From: Dave Bulger <dbulger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 14:20:12 -0600
Greetings, all!

I'm Dave Bulger, a new listee here to join in the chaos... I've been (in the
35mm arena at least) shooting with OMs exclusively since the mid-70's, when I
bought an OM1 as my first SLR.  My current lineup includes 2-OM2s, 1-OM1MD,
28-2.8, 35-2.8, 50-1.8, 100-2.8, 135-3.8, 35-70, 75-150, MD2, yada yada yada...

This list seems to be a great place to share information and experience.  The
only other list I'm on is for the restoration and operation of Volkswagen's
Karmann Ghia cars and, while it can prove useful on occasion, it's so rife with
politics and flame wars that it's a pleasure to see a group acting as adults...
:op

On topic and FWIW, I tend to get a year+ usage from the 357s in both of my OM2s
bodies, and I shoot quite a bit -- at least 2+ rolls per week with a spurt of
50+ rolls during my annual vacation/sabbatical (Yosemite/Bryce/Zion this year
-- I'm counting minutes 'til departure).

While I don't remove/flip batteries (excellent idea, BTW), I AM religious about
moving the meter switch to Program (almost never used) and putting the shutter
speed on mechanical B or 60 when I'm not going to shoot for more than an hour.
Got this info from a tech back in the 80's sometime and it's worked well since.

357s ARE cheap ($2.20US each) and I tend to carry 4 of 'em just in case...

Can't compare the 2s battery usage to the 1MD as the 1MD is a backup/carry
around and make the camera salesmen drool body...

Dave

> Too much is made of this problem IMO.  Some 2Sps and 4s develop this
>
> I do not think this possible problem should deter you from the
> delights of the OM system.
>
> Giles

<<application/ms-tnef>>