[OM] 50mm f/3.5 macro

Subject: [OM] 50mm f/3.5 macro
From: "james olson" <james_olson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 22:42:02 PST
i have been having a conversation with another list member off line
about the merits of the zuiko 50mm 3.5 macro, as a standard lens in my
uses.  while i don't personally have the 50mm 2.0 macro, we both agree
that the 50/3.5 is a magical lens.  of all the slides i have, i can
honestly say i can tell which slides are taken with the 50/3.5.  they
have a beautiful quality that is very evident when using the same lens
as a slide loupe for color slides.

i would imagine the "technical lens test" numbers (SQF, etc.) would say
this lens is inferior in numbers to other lenses.....  but that is
exactly why i feel lens tests based on numbers are not really that
revealing.  from my experience, with all the zuiko lenses i have, the
50mm/3.5 is my favorite lens.  the 35/2 is second with a great feeling
to the images, but i love the 50/3.5.  i recently purchased a 50mm/1.4
for the speed, but it doesn't seem the same. i can't compare the images
to the 50mm/1.8, but i'd be surprised if they topped the 50mm/3.5.

a while back, everybody posted their top ten lenses, but i got the
feeling they were not lenses people actually had and used.  so, having
not really heard too many opinions on the zuiko 50mm/3.5 macro, i
thought i would throw my opinion out there!

it's a great lens for me, small, and not too expensive.....

james.