Re: [OM] 50mm f/3.5 macro

Subject: Re: [OM] 50mm f/3.5 macro
From: Richard Schaetzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 14:37:42 +0100
james olson wrote:

> i would imagine the "technical lens test" numbers (SQF, etc.) would say
> this lens is inferior in numbers to other lenses.....  but that is
> exactly why i feel lens tests based on numbers are not really that
> revealing.  from my experience, with all the zuiko lenses i have, the
> 50mm/3.5 is my favorite lens.

I recently tested the flare, ghosting performance of my 50mm lenses. For
that purpose I´d photographed an lamp against an dark background,
metering was on an greycard iluminated by the lamp.
It was difficult to distinguish between an the SC and MC version of the
50mm/1.8 lens, in practical use this lenses should behave similar. The
50mm/1.4 MC showed more reflections (ghosting) than the 1.8 lenses. I
could not test the SC 50mm/1.4 because I´ve sold it short after I´d
bought it, it showed to much flare and lacked contrast.
The best performance had the 50mm/3.5 Macro lens, there where no
reflections and the contrast was the best of all tested lenses.

My conclusion: SC v.s. MC maters only with certain lenses and the
50mm/3.5 Macro lens is good choise for difficult lighting situations.

Regards

Richard