[OM] Please help me!

Subject: [OM] Please help me!
From: Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 10:12:24 -0800
>From: Alexander <mediadyne@xxxxxx>
>I have owned for 4 years, but never used the full OM slide copier Although I
>have the manual (what a terrible manual), I just cant seem to make it work. Is
>a macro lens required?

Yes.

>Can't I make the bellows further and use a standard 50
>mm lens?

You'll want the bellows *shorter*, not further. The slide copier is
designed to work with the 80/4 1:1 macro lens. If you use a standard 50,
you'll probably want to stop well down to get the edges and corners
acceptably sharp. It would be handy to be able to reverse the standard 50,
but since the slide duplicator is designed to fit around a 49mm lens
opening, it would take some fabrication work to do so.

>If anyone can guide me on how to use this, especially for sandwiching
>slides, I
>will be very grateful!

I assume you've discovered how to mount the slide duplicator to the
bellows, and that the duplicator has its own bellows that snaps out of the
lens side. That part attaches to the end of your lens, which attaches to
the bellows. Move the bellows back and forth until you have the framing you
desire and proper focus. Connect a T-32, T-20, or some other TTL flash via
a TTL cord, and point it at the diffuser on the slide duplicator -- I've
found a few feet works okay. Then fire away!

If you don't have a TTL flash or TTL cord, you can make do with a different
light source and the proper filter, but you may need higher speed film, and
subsequent grain.

I haven't tried it, but I'm pretty sure you can fit two slides in at once
for a sandwich. There's a tricky little latch at the front bottom that
allows the difuser to swing away, which may make it easier to sandwich
slides. With TTL metering, exposure should not be a problem for sandwiches.

I think I've sent the slide duplicator manual Acrobat file for publication
on the manuals web site, but it isn't there. I'd be glad to send it again
if it got lost (or if I just imagined sending it the first time... :-)

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229