[OM] In defence of the OM-4

Subject: [OM] In defence of the OM-4
From: Richard Ross <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 1999 16:25:49
couple of things worth mentioning.  True, you can't see the shutter speed
setting for the prism housing if you look directly down on the camera, but
since the only time you're likely to need to know what it is, you'd be in
manual, in which case the speed setting's shown on the LCD.

The exposure compensation dial seems quite logical to me, turning it
anticlockwise for a lower ISO and hence a positive compensation.  In any
case, it's exactly the same way round as the OM2 series.  My only whinge
about it is that's it's too easy to dislodge the ISO setting when using the
compensation.

If you want only a single spot measurement, what's wrong with telling the
camera that?  Simply press the button.  No different to a spot/average
switch, except that you need to set it each time.  Small price to pay for
the sophistication of the multi-spot system.

The LCD *is* the right way around cf the OM-2 (SP).  To position the
display on the bottom of the viewfinder window, you'd turn an OM-2 (SP) 90
degrees anticlockwise.  It then reads the same as the OM-4.  It'd be far
more confusing for those of us with both bodies if it were the other way
round.  And Ken's right about the virtues of the LCD over a match needle
system.  It's far more accurate.  Your observation abiout avionic displays
has more to do with analogue vs digital readout than the actual hardware -
a needle or a bargraph is much faster to read than a digital display.  I
rather liked the idea of the Canon A1 's digital display of aperture and
shutter speed until I tried using one....

I suggest you count to ten and have another go, Frank.  I wouldn't swap my
OM-4 for anything.

Regards
Richard