Re: [OM] Be careful what you wish for...

Subject: Re: [OM] Be careful what you wish for...
From: sje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 1999 17:41:15 +0000
There were some constructive mails and some good old-fashioned flames about
Frank's post.  Can't someone express their dissatisfaction with an Olympus
product around here?  I do think he was pushing it a bit suggesting that
these features were what lost Olympus its slr market, however he's entitled
to his opinion.

I was interested in his gripes, as I have never owned or even handled an
OM4.  Some of his points may have some validity for some users, but that
doesn't mean anyone should get hot under the collar about it.  I'm
left-handed, but if I have a moan about right-handed tools I don't expect
anyone who is right-handed to be offended.

Reading it may or may not make you think "yeah, come to think of it, xxx is
a feature which I find annoying".  I find the overexposure beep on the OM2SP
in Auto mode a pain, as I often leave the lens cap off when out and about.
Is that a user error?  I know I'm not the only one to complain about it.

I'd like someone to argue in favour of using the highlight and shadow
buttons.  I've always thought that, if you know how much darker or lighter
they are than your midtone, then you won't want the camera to set an
arbitary level of compensation, you will set it yourself.  Surely
intelligent use of a spotmeter is preceded by some knowledge of the
brightness range of the film, and perhaps an understanding of the zone system.

While I'm at it, I'd also like to know why multi-spot metering is so good,
especially in auto mode.  sometimes I spot meter from different parts of the
scene and set my exposure to retain detail in the areas which are important;
e.g. I meter off sunlit snow and set a reading where the snow is ca. +2.5
stops overexposed.  Most of the time I find a midtone and use that.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Simon E.