Re: [OM] Baby Wright has arrived!

Subject: Re: [OM] Baby Wright has arrived!
From: Marko Vrabec <marko.vrabec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 1999 22:54:56 +0100
>> Should I ... shouldn't I ...
>> How many members are there on the list?  What if everyone did this?

>Acually, you probably shouldn't.
>Shawn isn't just anyone.  He devotes his time and energies to running
>and hosting this list and so deserves a little generosity of spirit.

Undoubtedly everyone agrees with congratulating Wrights on their newborn
baby. I am also sure everyone fully appreciates the time and effort
Shawn puts into maintaining this list.

However, why on Earth does everybody insist on sending their personal
congratulations to the entire mailing list? Do you think your wishes
would be appreciated less if you emailed them directly to the person in
question? It is understandable that one or two people mistakenly hit
"Reply", but obviously some post this to the list as a rule.

Please realize that distributing your message to several hundred people
across the entire world actually costs some money, although you don't
pay it. It consumes network bandwidth, processing time and disk space on
many servers across the Net. Consider this: would you be sending 400
CCs of your congratulations all over the world if you had to put due
postal stamp on each one? Probably not.

>The subject line is specific enough to let people avoid the topic
>easily if they wish to.

Excuse me for saying this (and it is not meant to be personal or
insulting), but this is exactly what email spamers of the Net are
saying. See above why this argument isn't valid.

I really like the general spirit and friendliness on this list and I
find many off-topic wanderings entertaining, informative and refreshing
(who would want to read endless incarnations of 4T vs 4Ti and 50/1.8 vs
50/1.4 debates all the time? :). But please, let's try not to get
flooded in our own mail. Current daily traffic on the list is
approaching 150 kB. Every time somebody decides to unsubscribe from the
list because of this, we are all potentially at loss. Who knows, maybe
s/he would make a great contribution someday? And consider that many of
our most knowledgeable friends are following other lists as well and/or
already have tons of their own business correspondence. I would hate my
question to remain unanswered because it would be overlooked by the ones
who know the answer. Wouldn't you?

Let's try to be reasonable then (I have sinned too in the past). I
assure everyone that by sending your congratulations directly to the
recipient's email address (and not to the list) nobody will be at loss.
Quite the contrary.

Marko

PS
To avoid sounding too hostile and unfriendly, allow me to express my
perpetual and irrevocable good wishes for happiness, health, successful
acquisition of Zuikos, etc., etc., to everybody on this list, to all
residents of the territories in the 1860 boundaries of the British
Empire, and to just everybody else!