[OM] rights versus reason

Subject: [OM] rights versus reason
From: William Sommerwerck <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 19:25:44 -0800
"Not that I disagree in principle, but surely this only applies to the
U.S.A., not an international forum such as we have here. I must check
the Australian constitution to see if Frank really was entitled to make
those statements while on Australian soil!"

I didn't want to have to post something, but I must.

You're confusing legal rights with intellectual honesty. Simply because
we have a protected right to free speech does not mean that anything and
everything someone says is worth hearing.

We all have the right to speak freely, but we are not "entitled" to
foolish, shallow, poorly thought-out, or self-serving opinions. If
people carefully thought through their opinions before expressing them,
public discourse would be much more agreeable and productive.