Re: [OM] "real-time" spot metering?

Subject: Re: [OM] "real-time" spot metering?
From: Denton Taylor <denton@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 11:33:10 -0500
>"I just read this post and tried it out for my self. It does. Just line
>up on the bouncing dot in manual."
>

>I just tried it, too, and I'm not so sure.
>
>To get a spot reading, you have to press the SPOT button. But that
>doesn't switch the camera to spot mode. Rather, the camera takes and
>memorizes a single spot reading. Once you take the shot, the camera
>returns to center-
>weighted readings.
>
>It seems to me that in order to have "true" real-time spot metering, you
>should be able to switch the camera to spot mode, and have it remain in
>spot mode between shots.
>
>Of course, spot metering often requires reading a non-central part of
>the scene and locking that exposure. So, from a practical point of view,
>the OM-4T is no different _in use_ than other cameras that remain in
>spot- metering mode between shots.

Yes I think that the OM4 is unique among modern cameras in the
implementation of spot metering--at least among the ones I am familiar
with, which would include Contax, late Leica R, and Nikon 8008s/N90s.

I think the reasoning, which is not bad, is that normal center-weighted
metering should be a kind of 'default' which will cover most photo
situations, and spot mode would be used only when conditions would cause
center-weighted to fail.

The opposite situation, which has already happened to me more than once
with other (lesser? :-)) makes, is that you switch the entire camera mode
from matirx or center-weighted to spot, and then forget to switch it back.
Your next photo might be a rush, and you don't see the spot indicator in
the viewfinder, and so blow the shot.

Which design is better? Would you blow more shots by not having the time to
hit the spot button on the Oly, or by forgetting to take a camera out of
spot mode on other cameras? I think the latter...

I would have a slight quibble with your last statement, depending on
camera. If you're perfect, and only have a camera in spot mode when you
intend it to be, _and_ have a body that uses light pressure on the shutter
release as an AE lock, you simply point and lock your reading with the
shutter, recompose, and finish the shutter squeeze. In that case, it's a
one-button operation.

Regards,
Denton Taylor
Photogallery at www.dentontaylor.com
Panoramic and 360deg Immersive Images at
        www.threehundredsixty.com