[OM] Re:Using Spot Meter

Subject: [OM] Re:Using Spot Meter
From: ONLYOLYBW@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 23:05:39 EST
 sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
<<    One's estimation of a "midtone" is the operant parameter here.
 Misestimate the reflectance of the area you're relying on by 1/2 stop (far
 easier to do than most would believe) and there goes the exposure (at
 least from where you wanted it). I always hear people say they use "grass"
 (no, not THAT way, geez) as the "midtone", but has anyone measured
  reflectance in grasses, across the seasons and varieties thereof ?
 An El Ni~o-year grass patch looks a lot greener and darker than
 one during La Ni~a.
                                  *= Doris Fang =* >>

Hi Doris & Welcome Back,
To me the "real" beauty of the Multi Spot feature is to remedy exactly what
you are saying.  Choosing one "Middle Tone" area can be difficult.  But. if
one spots on several (what we think are middle tone) areas, ie; grass, tree
bark, leaves, etc., and takes the average of these readings, then the exposure
comes out very, very close.
BW