Re: [OM] was Battery drain -> Frozen Photography

Subject: Re: [OM] was Battery drain -> Frozen Photography
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 10:04:17 +0100
:I think Hans was referring to -20 Celsius,  While you from the USA
'Motorcity'
:are probably referring to -20 Fahrenheit.  A considerable difference.
:BW
:

Fahrenheit? Fahrenheit? What's a "fahrenheit?" Is it a car? Is it Bill
Clinton's new lover? Is it Kodaks new T grain APS slide film? Of course I
was using the Celsius scale. In Europe (which obviously excludes England) we
have adapted International Standardized Units since ages. In early days,
hell no. We used for example units like the 'steenworp' (stone throw) for
distances. But very quickly we discovered the standard deviation was a bit
too high to make accurate maps, to name some. And we needed accurate maps to
sail the world. Ask any shoe salesman, even Al Bundy, if a foot is a useable
length unit, and he'll tell you no. No wonder the British have lost their
new colonies.

 As to the original post, which named the merits of the 3V. Battery Holder
1, I wasn't trying to accurately describe the lower temperature limit in
which it still can be used. I used this extreme temperature to refer to the
extreme difference of the current North-West European winter (+15 degrees
last week. Yes, Celcius) and the North American winter.
Ok, let  me rephrase. The battery holder will keep you longer 'on the road'
when the temperature starts to drop and battery functions will come to an
end. When the temperature drops even more and the wind speed increases which
further lowers the 'feel temperature', and both camera body and film starts
to freeze, it comes to an end.
You may hold the camera in you clothes. You could also use an isolating
camera body jacket. No I'm not joking, these things exist. I have one from
Pentax, which I changed a bit to fit an OM-1 or OM-2. They are  intended to
reduce the sound, for theatre photography.  It filters the high tones of the
mirror slap. But the isolation would also keep the body longer warm.

Happy winter,

Hans (Brrr it's +3 degrees. Celcius. I better put on an extra body jacket).