[OM] Re: Stacking converters

Subject: [OM] Re: Stacking converters
From: MorrisMini@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 09:18:29 EST
Hi all,

I'm looking forward with great antipication to Gary Reese's lens tests with
converters.  I started thinking about stacking the two converters (2X and
1.4X) and came up with a quandry. *Duh*  As a mathematician, I make a good
plumber.....

How is the focal length calculated?  Do you add the converters and then
multiply times the lens length, or multiply one converter times the lens
length and that times the other converter?  For a 300mm, for example, is it:

300mm X 1.4 = 420mm
420mm X 2 + 840mm

-or-

300mm X (1.4 + 2)= 1020mm?????

Weird, I can't think "outside the box" on this.

-Tim Clark