[OM] A little decorum please

Subject: [OM] A little decorum please
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrickg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 09:45:33 -0700
Please gentlemen (and ladies):
        Respond to the written comments but refrain from attacking the
writer.  Is this a forum for religious dogma?  Can someone express an
opinion, albeit a minority one, without being personally attacked.  I
myself, at one point in time, thought successively numbered Oly product
were each an advancement over its predecessors.  Well, not necessarily!
        How do you answer the question, "What is the best tool?"  Depends
on a few things, doesn't it?  Is a crescent wrench better than any open end
wrench because it can be adjusted to fit a broad range of sizes?  Is the
Swiss army knife the BEST knife and if you think so would you want your
neurosurgeon using one in your brain instead of a scapel?
        The gentleman in question apparently was disappointed with the
model 4.  Note: without expectation there is no disappointment.  Were his
expectations realistic?  We don't know.  All we know is that collectively
they were not met and he gave a clear, concise, communicable, unambiguous
exposition of what he didn't like.  For this we collectively rip his head
off and stuff a 4ti down his windpipe while casting aspersions on his
mental health if not his manhood, intelligence, and social quotient.
        I'm reminded of the bovine instinct that when attacked they form a
circle with their horns to the outside for mutual self protection of their
ungarded backsides.
        Those among us who think the 4 is the ultimate expression of
ergonomic excellence are entitled to their opinion however indefensible it
is but rather than castigate them we should live and let live.  Clearly the
4 can do just about anything you would need to do, and plenty of just plain
folk have learned how to do most of it BUT that does not in and of itself
disprove any claims of poor ergonomics.
        As a matter of fact the reason we are saddled with the qwerty
keyboard on type writers and computers was to make typing more difficult
and slower so as not to have the mechanical levers with the letters on them
get tangled up from users typing too fast on the early model typewriters.
The only reason we retain this ergonomic abomination is because it got
accepted as a standard and it goes unquestioned by the masses as THE RIGHT
WAY.  So don't try to understand why someone disagrees with you, just make
a personal attack on him.

Just give me a moment to don my fire retardant bulletproof Nomex and Kevlar
underware... OK I'm ready.

Patrick