Re: [OM] 35-70 f:3.6 vs. 35-70 f:3.5-4.5

Subject: Re: [OM] 35-70 f:3.6 vs. 35-70 f:3.5-4.5
From: Matthias Wilke <Matthias.K.Wilke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 21:48:36 +0200
>Ok, since we are on this topic. Does anyone have any comparison to the
>35-70 F4
>with the above? I would realy apreciate it.

Hello,

I know all three versions, the 3,5 - 4,5 with its AF version, then I used
to own the 3,6 and I have the 1:4 lens. In my opinion the latter is the
best of these three. For drooling Gary I can add from the 1982 test the
results of the 3,6 and the 1:4. I also add the result of the best lens and
one of the two badest lenses for comparison.

                        Canon FD 1:4    Olympus 1:3,6   Olympus 1:4     Nikon E
                        35 - 70         35 - 70         35 - 70         36 - 72

General result          +               +               +               o

General picture quality +               +               +               +

at 35 mm                ++              +               +               +
at 50 mm                ++              +               +               +
at 70 mm                ++              +               ++              +
Distortion
at 35 mm                --              -               -               -
at 50 mm                ++              ++              +               ++
at 70 mm                ++              +               ++              ++
Strange light
at 35 mm                ++              o               ++              ++
at 50 mm                ++              o               ++              +
at 70 mm                ++              o               +               +
Vignetting
at 35 mm                +               +               +               +
at 50 mm                +               +               +               +
at 70 mm                +               +               +               +
Consitency of
picture plane           +               +               +               +
Max. macro ratio        1:6,3           not 1:10        1:10            1:6,3
Quality of macro        +               (absent)        +               +

Mechanical quality      ++              ++              ++              o

Precision of aperture
values                  ++              ++              ++              ++
Stability in extreme
situations              ++              ++              ++              o

Attendance              +               +               +               +

Remarks                 very good       very good       absent          absent
                        focusing        focusing
                        and focal       ring
                        length rings

Without the "very insufficient" distortion at 35 mm, the Canon lens would
have become one of the very rare "very good" zoom lenses in this test
series. My experience with the 3,6 lens is in tune with the average
behaviour with regard to strange light. By the way, the Stiftung Warentest
has not changed their test pattern in the last twenty years, so you CAN
compare very old and new tests (this is something the ordinary photo press
doesn't want).

Matthias