Re: Re[2]: [OM] Life of a selenium cell (was Trip 35 Info)

Subject: Re: Re[2]: [OM] Life of a selenium cell (was Trip 35 Info)
From: "Keith (R.K.) Berry" <keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 00:23:13 -0000
From: Dave Haynie <dhaynie@xxxxxxxxxx
>There are plenty of good reasons not to use them...(Selenium cells)

I was around when CdS began to replace Selenium in built-in, coupled, and
hand held separate exposure meters. The particular improvements claimed were
better low light response and a narrower angle of 'view.'

I well remember negotiating with a dealer the part exchange of my Leicameter
MC (Selenium) for a new fangled Leicameter MR. Both coupled to the shutter
dial of my Leica M2 and with the former you evaluated the exposure by
viewing your subject in the 50mm frame in the viewfinder, pressed a button
to lock the needle indicating the aperture to set. With the CdS version you
did much the same but using the 90mm frame.

Leitz at some point issued a warning to Leicameter MR users to ensure that
the mercury battery was not left in place for longer than necessary as it
had been discovered that the fumes from it had a tendency to corrode the
meter's circuit board! It didn't have an isolated battery compartment like
the OM-1 or 35RC have, but I still try to remember to remove a camera's
battery for periods of non use.

The current shortage of, and confusion about, suitable batteries for CdS
meter use encouraged me to recently buy two cameras with coupled Selenium
meters, which seem fine in practice, but this thread casts doubt on them.
Thanks!!!

Regards,
Keith
keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx