Re: [OM] OM-1 battery dilemma

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-1 battery dilemma
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 18:44:21 -0800
Frank Costa wrote:

>Just purchased a Mint OM-1 md. My exitement over it's impending arrival
>is tempered by the fact that it uses a battery not available in my area.
>I've searched around the net and found two alternatives mentioned.
>
>1) MR-9 adaptor for use with S76 silver battery
>
>2) A zinc-air cell, which if I understand, directly replaces the mercury
>cell with the correct voltage. There must be somthing wrong with this
>idea, because it's cheaper then the MR-9.
>
>Any input would be appreciated. When in doubt, I bring my camera q's
>directly to Mt. Olympus.

To Frank and every other Zuik, I'd like to mention that I managed to
replenish my stash of fresh, sealed Hg cells (made by Varta/Germany).

I still have a good number of PX625 Hg cells (1.35v), as well as a few
PX400 (1.35v -- for Pentax Spotmatic and similar), PX27 (5.6v -- for
Minox'es and Rollei 35), and PX675 (1.35v -- for many Konica SLR's
as well as a variety of 35mm rangefinders).

To remind you, Hg cells typically last 1.5-2 years inside the camera,
and with proper storage their shelf life is in excess of 10 years.
Hg cells production in Europe will cease by the end of 1999, although
existing inventories should keep sales alive for another year or so.

If interested, pls feel free to contact me off-list.

P.S. Unfortunately, I was unable to get any new PX640's -- sorry!

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, CA
schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx