Re: [OM] Re:OT, Jpg, was: Lordly Com..........

Subject: Re: [OM] Re:OT, Jpg, was: Lordly Com..........
From: Scj9000@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 09:55:49 EST
In a message dated 1/13/99 9:07:26 AM Eastern Standard Time, Pauls0627@xxxxxxx
writes:
<< Something you scanned 2 years ago and put on a ZIP
 drive can be copied today to a DVD-RAM drive without the image losing any
 quality. >>

Paul,
The copying of the files from one medium to another would never worry me...but
the original postee (Richard) indicated that each time opened, a measure of
the image was lost. THAT got my attention! OMer seems to have a handle on
this,  but I had never read such (as I am not big into compression standards
at all..never trusted to play with Stacker in the old days either, but do
compress my pics for Ebay.....how's that for professional content LOL)
It simply never ocurred to me that opening and closing a compressed file might
deteriorate the quality of the image over time! Facinating! Back to printing
off everything?? Let' face it, be it film, slide, print, or file,  image
immortality is debatable!
Susan