Re: [OM] Re:OT, Jpg, was: Lordly Com..........

Subject: Re: [OM] Re:OT, Jpg, was: Lordly Com..........
From: Pauls0627@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 10:31:46 EST
In a message dated 1/13/99 10:12:53 AM Eastern Standard Time, Scj9000@xxxxxxx
writes:

<< The copying of the files from one medium to another would never worry
me...but
 the original postee (Richard) indicated that each time opened, a measure of
 the image was lost. >>

I obviously misunderstood your original post. Sorry. I think Richards comment
should be read as each time a JPEG is opened and *re-saved* there is a loss.
Just opening it doesn't affect the original file. I presume the loss occurs
because you are uncompressing the original JPEG, which results in an image
somewhat different than the one originally used to create the JPEG. When it is
recompressed and saved the source file is therefore different. Based on other
posts here it would seem that the affect "levels" off after 1 or 2 iterations.

Once, again, I hope this helps!

Paul Schings
Coventry, RI