Re: [OM] Re:Using Spot Meter

Subject: Re: [OM] Re:Using Spot Meter
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 12:16:43 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 13 Jan 1999 ONLYOLYBW@xxxxxxx wrote:

>  Also, who says it needs to be in focus?
>  Shawn Wright >>
>
> Well Shawn, no one said it did, but that would be me who thought it did.
> My ignorance on the use of gray cards and that a lens does not need to be
> focused to give a correct meter reading.

  This sort of thing works exceptionally well (when one wants to be
stealthy) with cameras that have exposure info visible from above
the camera body. I said nothing about having to be in focus because
I've done it for so long it seemed like everyone knows. But always put the
assistant between yourself and the large carnivore...:-)
  BTW, you can get an idea of the contrast range very rapidly by varying
the angle of the card and its direction (for those that aren't spot
metering) from that which gives a specular highlight to deep shade,
depending on what sort of light is raining on your subject and from what
angle. Anyone read Smilla's Sense of Snow ? It is the same with light...

                                       *= Doris Fang =*