Re: [OM] Imagek EFS-1 system

Subject: Re: [OM] Imagek EFS-1 system
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 22:34:35 +0100
:The Imagek EFS-1 cartridge system that can convert 35mm SLR cameras into
:digital models is set to go on sale in June for under $800. The makers
:claim that it will be compatible with most popular 35mm SLR cameras
:currently in use. If the demand is there Imagek says it will expand the
:compatibility to remaining system owners

They've been announcing this cartridge for more than one and a half year
now, and have postponed its release at least twice. This reduced my initial
enthousiasm and made me wonder if it was just some piece of vapour-hardware,
using premature press releases, intentended perhaps to bind prospect
shareholders. In any case I'll still have doubts about this date which still
sounds like a "Microsoft Windows Release Date" (yes always too late). Maybe
they should, just in case, change the name into EFS-2000. Oh well, at least
their initial price setting is decreased from $1000 to $800...

:Would it be worthwhile for us to "get in first" and contact Imagek asking
:if an Olympus version will be made?

IMHO it won't. At least when their initial goals still stand for this
project, if and when it will be released, it should work in any OM body.
Users of hi-tech bodies with film advance control sensors that will auto
shutdown when film advance is not reported should perhaps worry - well, at
least this was reported last autumn in a Dutch camera magazine based on an
EFS-1 beta release.  I doubt if it will work in an IS-3000, just to name
one.

Hans