Re: [OM] ergonomics, 2nd round....

Subject: Re: [OM] ergonomics, 2nd round....
From: "Wiese" <wiese@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 12:57:19 +1100
Ernens wrote:

>> errr.... the 4Ti is expensive, but it sure doesn't cost as much as an F5,
>> not even in Australia... last I checked (a few weeks ago) new price was
>> around $2500 AUD...

>Does that include the 38.4% "sales tax", actually import duty? (Yes, I
>know, it's almost worth flying to Singapore and back for the day.
>It has been done.)

>The UK price is UKP 1200 including VAT. Removing the VAT and converting
>to AUD gives $2689 or $3721 with tax. I was quoted "$3500 to $4000,
>we can order one in" by a well-known dealer some time ago, when
>the AUD was weaker. I believe many sales are to insurance companies
>honouring new-for-old.

Removing VAT doesn't account for the retail mark-up in England, and anyway,
why choose a place that's got worse equipment prices than Australia? (that's
how it seems to me, reading through British mags like Practical Photo, and
converting UKP to AUD)  Any retailer who wants to "bring one in" themselves,
no matter how well known, doesn't know what they're on about - R. Gunz
Photographic are the Australian importers, and retailers can get the 4Ti
from them without causing double retail mark-ups.

>Even at $2500 it is still more than an F90x including tax ($2245), and
>a lot less camera.

... that depends what pushes your buttons, so to speak; it's heavier,
yes.......

>Sensible people consider resale value, and, as your
>post reveals to us, that's not so great for a newish OM-4Ti.

? - you're making that judgement on the basis of one ad? ECS have some of
the best commercial prices on used gear I've seen, so they're hardly a
sturdy foundation for generalizations... (generally about 1/3 less than
others, and it's always in top nick - I go there often to drool)

>I saw the ECS ad and passed it up - $900 is too much for a second
>hand camera. I did not pay anywhere near those prices for the OM-4.

... of course you didn't, it's not worth as much (market judgement).
Anyway, you're saying the camera's too expensive 2nd hand, though you accuse
it of depreciating too much??

[...]

>> You're in Australia, yes? - There's been at least one nationally
advertised
>> for sale in exc. condition for the last few months that I can think
of....
>> as well as a couple of others through private sale I've seen.

>Not sure where you're looking, but all the ads I saw were for
>OM-2's. I found an excellent, *very* cheap OM-2SP in Melbourne this
>week and am delighted with it. It came on the market after I'd
>bought the OM-4.

>Just because the ad says "excellent condition" doesn't make it
>true - an OM-2SP I saw so described had a completely dead viewfinder
>display.

Agreed, but this was at Mainline Photographics, my other favourite
commercial source of used gear - they have a highly respected rating system
(article in Photo Trader, for example, a couple of issues ago) and, as do
several other stores, have a return policy lasting 2 or 3 weeks.

The other lovely thing about this list, is that a lot of people are quite
happy do little things for you, like tell you where they might have seen an
ad for something you're looking for, or even go to a store if they have time
and check out an item for you - it's worked for me a few times, and I only
flit about on the periphery of the list, though I'm happy to help others in
the same way; imagine what people might do if they got to know you as a
regular, reasonable, respected contributor... (e.g. people have traipsed to
Cash Converters a couple of times for me in other states; the first time I
did a deal with a list member in the US, they sent me my purchase before the
money had arrived....)

>(For foreigners, "locally" is Melbourne, a city of 3.5 million.)

... you're a foreigner yourself, remember, just like the rest of us...

Cheers

Andy
wiese@xxxxxxxxxx
ICQ# 12366792

"Egyptian pharoahs fell from the sky...
Fell from the sky, and played the blues"