Re: [OM] Photography of camera bodies, in particular M-1

Subject: Re: [OM] Photography of camera bodies, in particular M-1
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 20:51:42 EST
Claes writes:

> I am also in the process of starting macro photography of small high-tech
>  things and am considering buying photofloods. What do you use? 3000K bulbs
>  and 80A filters? Or daylight bulbs? How many watts?

The minus red color adjustment I was speaking of needing to do on brown
tabletops was with the use of blue photofloods (EBW) and color neg film (Agfa
HDC Plus 100).  There really isn't a need for filtration with color neg
emulsions.  It is tweaked when creating the positive image.

For trannies, I always go with 3200 deg. K photofloods (ECT) and T type film
(esp. Fuji 64T).  In my microfilming days I used 3400 deg. K (EBV) bulbs and
Kodachrome 40.  But these days I don't know that the extra cost of that film
and processing is justified for non-archival copying tasks.

Don't use an EBW and try to filter it to a tungsten film.  The results are
less than optimal.

The photoflood reflectors are the same Smith Victors I bought in the late
1970's.  Like in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."  Since the big bulb
warehouse (Bulbman's) is in Las Vegas, it is dirt cheap to buy the
photofloods.  Like $2.50US or less.

These bulbs are all 500 watt.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV