Re: [OM] Photography of camera bodies, in particular M-1

Subject: Re: [OM] Photography of camera bodies, in particular M-1
From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 22:11:11 -0800
For "product" shots, I like to use two lights, then modify with reflectors
and gobos.  For the small items you are shooting, 90 - 135mm lens should
give enough working distance.  Try to avoid getting too close, i.e. < 0.3m.
To emphasize Gary's point, be careful of the focus plane; try to keep the
main points of the image in that plane.  DoF is not going to be your friend
in this shot.

As for the lighting arrangement, place the main light above and to the side
of the subject, and well behind it.  The light will spill over the top,
causing a significant shadow in the front.  To deal with this, place a fill
light in-line with the subject, slightly off center and above.  Place a gobo
between the main light and the camera lens to eliminate any spill light
flare (and the reason working distance is so important).  Use reflectors to
fill in the shadow areas.  Different materials can give interesting effects.
Crumpled aluminum foil gives more specular highlights, a white card a
smoother effect.  A third fill light, well diffused, from directly above can
sometimes be helpful but should be used with care.

There's probably a few thousand more ways to do this, but I have had some
success with this basic approach.

John P
there is no "never" - just long periods of "not yet".
there is no "always" - just long periods of "so far"