Re: [OM] Photography of camera bodies, in particular M-1

Subject: Re: [OM] Photography of camera bodies, in particular M-1
From: "Keith (R.K.) Berry" <keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 21:47:29 -0000
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx

>Claes writes:
>
>> I am also in the process of starting macro photography of small high-tech
>>  things ...

For quick macro-type images of small objects don't overlook the use of a
flatbed scanner. I've had one for a few days and after experimentally
scanning photos & brochures, I looked around, as one does, for something
else to try. With the scanner lid removed, my Minox 35GL came out well and I
took my OM2n out of its bag, removed Winder 2 and put the base of the camera
on the scanner glass, without fitting the motor coupling cap. The result was
excellent, and I zoomed in on the 'picture' of the coupling, which was well
lit and very detailed. The phrase "looking up an old friend" came to mind.

Depth of field is similar to what you'd get with a camera at this level of
magnification and illumination falls off rapidly more than an inch or so
from the glass, but you can put reflective material on the glass just out of
'shot' and bounce additional light off it separately with a lamp at a low
angle. For the background, normally black, draping a piece of paper over the
subject and lighting it with a separate lamp can vary its brightness.

The great thing is that you can see the results of your experimentation
within a few minutes.

Regards,
Keith
keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx