RE: [OM] OT - Vivitar Series 1 19-35 f3.5-4.5

Subject: RE: [OM] OT - Vivitar Series 1 19-35 f3.5-4.5
From: "Brian P. Huber" <bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 10:32:57 -0500
I'm sure someone knows a lot more about this than I do, since I haven't
been that involved in the photo business for a while.  And I know from
reading the posts that someone will REAALLYY tell it like it is, so I'll
just get it going.
Yes Hanimex did acquire Vivitar, wha the association with Hanimex and the
company that markets Phoenix and Samyang is, I don't know.  But a few
dealers have told me the lenses are the same.  I could mean simply that
Samyang/Phoenix is the only company making lenses for Vivitar.  (In the old
days, Tokina, Kiron and others all made lenses for Vivitar).  In fact,
Vivitar didn't make ANY lenses, they designed them and then contracted the
manufacture to another company.
A humorous note: Vivitar (I think 1976) realized that with new computer
designs the 85-205 zoom could be changed to allow close focusing.  They
also wanted to get it out before the PMA show in March.  Most of the
development work was done in Dec. of  '75.  Remember, these were the days
before fax machines.  The Japanese company (I believe Kiron) had all the
drawings, all that was needed was the label on the lens.  The marketing
department call the Japanese company and told them over the phone how to
label the lens.  NOTHING WAS WRITTEN, it was all done orally.  When the
prototype lens was delivered, the lens ring was engraved CROSEUP!  Honest!
 I saw it, we showed the lens at PMA that way.
Brian Huber