Re: [OM] Be careful what you wish for...

Subject: Re: [OM] Be careful what you wish for...
From: Denton Taylor <denton@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 14:39:33 -0500
At 01:16 PM 1/16/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Alexander writes:
>
>> Depreciation for OM
>>  equipment seems to be much higher, and will most likely IMO become even
>>  higher as the uncertainty of the OMs future becomes stronger and more
>people
>>  switch brands, "dumping" their OM equipment.
>
>Depreciation based on what base price?  One must take into account the wide
>variation in OM System prices over time.  I typically determine OM System
>equipment depreciation based on lowest legitimate grey market selling price
>(typically the late 1980's) adjusted for the Consumer Price Index
(inflation).
>By that measure, only a few items have depreciated.  As I've posted before,
>these include the amateur bodies and very high production lenses.

Yes. I think that Olympus SLR is a two-tier system. I think that in fact
Oly hoped to be a 'pro' system competing with Nikon and Canon. Therefore,
they had two series of lenses (f/2 and f/2.8). In fact few pros bought in.
The majority of people who bought into Oly were amateurs who could just as
well have bought a Nikon FM, Canon A1, Minolta SRT101, etc. When they
bought additional lenses it would usually have been a 28 2.8, 100 2.8, etc.

There were no 'idiot' cameras in those days.

So the casual amateur has moved on to auto-everything cameras.

Meanwhile the serious, although not professional, photographer, has
rediscovered the value of simple yet well-designed equipment. Many have
chosen Olympus.

But now we have a quandary. The serious amateur that likes Olympus, will
tend to be older and better-off, and will tend to seek the 'pro' Oly stuff;
the fast lenses especially. But since few pros bought in, and most early
Oly users would have bought the slower lenses, we have a discreapncy btw
supply and demand.

Therefore, the better stuff will continue to rise in price.

Regards,
Denton Taylor
Photogallery at www.dentontaylor.com
Panoramic and 360deg Immersive Images at
        www.threehundredsixty.com