Re: [OM] ergonomics, 2nd round....

Subject: Re: [OM] ergonomics, 2nd round....
From: Richard Schaetzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 13:36:04 +0100
Frank Ernens wrote:

> > I've recently given my OM-2S a workout of 10 rolls or so and find I like it
> > more and more.  What delights you about yours?
>
> * From the point of view of a long-time OM-1 and OM-2 user:

> 2. Same compact, light body size, shape and balance.

Like all other OMs.

> 5. Easy-to-read (for me, YMMV!!) display. Even easier than the swing
> needle, and marked in 1/3 stops.

Yeah, it has the same finder magnification as the OM-4 (smaller as OM-1
and OM-2), but not the protruding diopter correcture as the OM-4, saving
valuable space for the use with glasses.

> 15. Self-timer beeps and blinks in the modern way, which people
> in group portraits expect.

Brrr... noise. Normaly, I have no use for selftimer, but this one
also doubles as mirror and aperture prefire, which comes handy
sometimes.

> 16. Everything the camera knows about your exposure is in the
> mechanical memory of the shutter/aperture rings and mode button.
> No calamity if the viewfinder dims.

The same in OM-4 manual mode.

> 17. Mirror lock-up happens at the start of the self-timer interval,
> as a substitute for the OM-1's mirror lock-up. (OM-2N doesn't
> do that.)

see 15.

> Some minor blemishes

> 2. No off switch... lens cap mandatory.

For what purpose?

> 4. Expense of circular polarizers (BTW, my new Hoyas have
> flimsy rings. The Arrows were better.).

Heliopan and B&W are better (more expensive too)

> 5. Only goes to 1/1000 [OM-4 1/2000]

I can live with that (with the bright sun over Germany ;-)

> Someone (Ken Norton?) wrote that the beeper annoyed them.
> Mine turns off by rotating the self-timer lever clockwise.

Yeah, but didn´t help with selftimer.

Regards

Richard