Re: [OM] Need advice: Slide scanner?

Subject: Re: [OM] Need advice: Slide scanner?
From: Denton Taylor <denton@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 11:19:48 -0500

>I have a slight-off topic that I need some advice on. I have noticed that
>some of you use a slide scanner, and I have become interested myself.....
>
>Primarily, I want to publish sharp photos on the web, but it would be great
>if the quality is enough for off-set printing too. What (affordable) slide
>scanners are available on the market? It would be great if you, who use
>slide scanners could give some http-links to photos that you have scanned
>and put on the web. And also give some ideas on pros and cons of different
>scanners.
>
>Is it possible to get a good slide scanner under say USD 1000? Or
>preferably even less.
>
>Also, what are the pros/cons of using slides and a slide scanner compared
>to prints and a good flat-bed scanner?
>
>Greatful for any input in this matter.

I have a Minolta Dimage Scan Dual, which, given the resolution of 2438dpi,
is about the cheapest out there. It is now selling at PCConnection for
$549, which is a lot less than I paid :-(

I have used this scanner to produce full-bleed 8-1/2" x 11" photo
reproductions for my corporate publications with good results. Most of the
photos and all of the 'new galleries' and panoramic photos at my website
below were scanned with it.

Regards,
Denton Taylor
Photogallery at www.dentontaylor.com
Panoramic and 360deg Immersive Images at
        www.threehundredsixty.com