[OM] Lens contrast / Trip 35s

Subject: [OM] Lens contrast / Trip 35s
From: Dave Bulger <dbulger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 10:56:45 -0600
All,

I recently purchased a Olympus Trip 35 as a
in-the-glove-box-have-with-me-all-the-time camera.  I threw a roll of
Ilford Delta 100 in it and shot stuff (mainly outdoor, semi-contrasty) side
by side with my trusty OM1 (also loaded with Delta 100) to check out it's
sharpness, meter, etc.

Exposures were wonderful (selenium cells are good!), film speed the same (I
shoot Delta 100 at 80), I used my 50/1.8 on the OM, processed both rolls at
the same time in HC-100/1:7, etc.  BUT!  The Trip 35 negs came out
considerably flatter than the OM negs.  Film isn't fogged, exposures are
good, etc.

I was aware that lenses had a contrast factor but I didn't think it would
be this extreme.  Considering the size/simplicity of the Trip 35 40/2.8,
with the exception of the contrast the lens performed wonderfully!  At
infinity settings the negs were virtually as sharp as the OM 50/1.8!
 Perhaps I'll use the Trip for those contrasty subjects I can't quite
squeeze into Velvia's stop range...

Any ideas/suggestions/yeah-that-happened-to-me-s?

Rgds,

Dave