Re: [OM] RE: Digest pollution!

Subject: Re: [OM] RE: Digest pollution!
From: "Tomoko Yamamoto" <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 14:58:09 -0500
Dave Bulger wrote that
>Thinking further (actually, coming up with solutions rather than problems),
>perhaps a solution to this issue would be to have Shawn or another
>old-time/gonna be here forever listee volunteer to keep a small text file
>with the solution to the pollution (damn!  I'm a poet!) and privately email
>it to any list newbies whose software is doing this.
>Any volunteers?  I'll write it if you distribute it.  I'd do it myself, but
>my Outlook filters that stuff out.  And I'm not in digest mode...

Thanks, Dave, for analyzing the problem and finding the solution to it.

Now I understand what is happening.  I subscribe to the list by digest. My
current e-mail client is Outlook Express.  I had not seen the winmail.dat
garbage until I went Shawn's site to have a look at a complete digest.
Apparently, my Outlook will cut the digest up when it encounters the
winmail.dat. and continues into an attachment as a text file.  When it
encounters the garbage second time, it terminates the text file to filter out
the garbage.

The latest digest
 http://zuiko.sls.bc.ca/swright/olympus-digest.archive/v02.n725 )
has two of winmail.dat endings, one generated by Dave Bulger before he figured
out what he was doing and the other by Brian Huber.  I don't mean to flame
anyone by naming names.  Without naming names, we never solve problems.

Those of you who are computer experts!  Is there any setting in Outlook Express
or MS e-mail clients to prevent the winmail.dat attachments?  I ask this
question I could possibly generate these things myself.

Thanks.

Tomoko Yamamoto
Photographer, Composer, Soprano
mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx