RE: [OM] OT: ebay ethics [was: More ebay madness!]

Subject: RE: [OM] OT: ebay ethics [was: More ebay madness!]
From: Dave Bulger <dbulger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 16:50:31 -0600
The act of approaching the seller in the real world is the same as
e-mailing
the seller in the virtual world.  Likewise, the act of approaching an
unsuccessful buyer in the real world, to tell him or her you have a
similiar
item, is the same as e-mailing a potential buyer in the virtual world.  In
either case, if the contacted party rebukes the offer/approach, one simply
apologies.

[Dave Bulger]  GREAT point!  I'm constantly amazed at people's
boundaries/restrictions at electronic socialization that don't exist in
real life.  I had a seller recently contact me re a power grip I had lost
the auction on asking me if I wanted another one he had available. I didn't
want it, and deleted the note.  I do remember thinking, however, "Hey!
 He's not supposed to do that!".  Upon further reflection, I really don't
see any problem with it.

When we go out into the real world we're aware of and more accepting of
others' foibles and personality traits, realizing (for the most part) that
they have as much right to do what they want as we have to do what we want.
 Let them do it electronically, however, and we get outraged!  Had Jan (the
seller above) approached me after an auction in real life, I'd have been
appreciative of his effort despite the fact that I knew he was trying to
move his merchandise.

If you use the mental picture of all of us sitting in a circle in a room
having the dialog in person that we do via email, I doubt that FE (?) would
have been called a *&^*& A**HOLE for not liking the 4Ti.  We would have
done our best to show him how wonderful it was and, if he continued to not
like it, say "Well, your loss, your opinion, etc." type of stuff.  Why is
it we give people far more "slack" in person than we do electronically?

Passing out flowers & incense,

Dave