Re: [OM] Black specks on Focusing screen

Subject: Re: [OM] Black specks on Focusing screen
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 23:56:24 -0800
Frank Costa wrote:

>Not sure what happened. One morning I picked up my OM-10 and saw three or
>four black specks on the screen. Tried canned air to no avail. I don't want
>to venture any further without some advice (I've already ruined a screen im
>the past this way).

Check the foam inside the mirror chamber.  It's supposed to absorb the
shock when the mirror jumps up.  When this foam dries up, it often starts
crumbling, and the pieces end up on the focusing screen.  These specks
can be sticky.  It's easy enough to clean the removable screens, but
you have an OM-10...  Canned air and VERY gentle prodding with a Q-tip
should do the trick.

>What is it about screens that makes them so fragile anyway?

Hmm, that's a tough question, and the answer is <drum roll, pls>: Olympus!
Now, think for a moment.  Basically, it's the same question that someone
asked before wrt the TTL connectors.  These are unique products, without
any competition (well, there are Beattie screens), and made for a captive
audience.  Are you REALLY surprised that they cost so much, and are maybe
not as durable as they could be?

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, CA