Re: [OM] OM-2SP vs Delta 3200

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-2SP vs Delta 3200
From: Richard Ross <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 09:40:37 +0000
Chris Barker wrote:
>Richard
>
>I think that I noticed this on my OM4 some years ago when I was more
>inquisitive about its workings than I am now.  I assumed then that it was
>some sort of spurious indication which bore no resemblance to real life.
>In practice, the meter indicates and works well when pointing at a real
>subject such as moolit houses or starlit skies (the comet photos).  I have
>never had a problem with the exposure on my lovely little black camera.

Neither had I until I tried this high speed stuff!  In auto, the camera
exposed correctly at what sounded like about 1/15, while the meter
indicated 1/60 and had "bottomed out" - i.e. if I pointed it at something
darker it still read the same.  There is apparently a minimum EV which the
meter will indicate, and this value is higher than the minimum EV at which
the OTF auto exposure system will work correctly.  That means that you
can't use an OM-2SP in manual (spot) mode reliably in low light.  With the
OM-4, I'd switch to auto and press the spot button, which also seems to
work fine.  The proof is in the negs - those exposed in auto are okay,
while those exposed *apparently correctly* in manual are underexposed.
Maybe John H can advise on this.  Now I'm aware of it, I'll make
allowances, but it would be rather nicer if the meter flashed "undr" rather
than suggesting it was giving a correct reading.

>Have you tried an OM2 in Auto.  It does not have the same indication... you
>can't see it ;-)

I know - I mentioned that in my original post :-)  THing is though, the
OM-1 and OM-2 have a separate metering system for the VF indication,
whereas the blurb on the 2SP and 4 says the *same cells are used for both
VF indication and auto-exposure*.  Hmm....

Regards
Richard