Re: [OM] here is an interesting question...

Subject: Re: [OM] here is an interesting question...
From: Pauls0627@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 07:30:37 EST
In a message dated 1/18/99 5:34:35 PM Eastern Standard Time, mediadyne@xxxxxx
writes:

<< What happens, when you put a multicoated filter (i.e. B+W) on a single
coated lens? >>

By multi-coating a filter you are simply minimizing the filter's impact on the
image. Adding an additional element to teh light path will invariably
adversely affect image quality (although the change may not be readily
perceptible).  A multicoated filter will tend to introduce less flair than a
single coated one, which will introduce less than an uncoated filter. I don't
think the coating on the lens itself is really relevant. I would imagine that
different filter coatings may also have a slight affect on color rendition,
and this affect may also be a function of the coatings on the lens.

HTH

Paul Schings
Coventry, RI