[OM] cleaning dirty focusing screens; multicoating; appropriate response

Subject: [OM] cleaning dirty focusing screens; multicoating; appropriate responses
From: William Sommerwerck <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 05:35:00 -0800
"One morning I picked up my OM-10 and saw three or four black specks on
the screen. Tried canned air to no avail."

This could still be plain old dirt, even though the air didn't dislodge
it. If the screen isn't removable, you might try _gently_ rubbing with a
cotton swap barely dampened (not wet!) with lens-cleaning fluid.

It's easy to clean removable focusing screens _without_ damaging them.
Here's how I do it.

1. Remove the screen and place it on a soft, clean surface.

2. Wash your fingertips thoroughly with dishwashing liquid. (I use Dawn,
which seems the best at removing grease, but any brand should work.)

3. Rinse both sides of the screen under running water, to remove any
loose dirt.

4. Put a few drops of the dishwashing liquid on the screen (both sides)
and rub _gently_.

5. Rinse the screen thoroughly under running water.

6. Shake the screen several times to remove excess water.

7. Use canned air to finish drying the screen. Don't let it air-dry.

"If the light is travelling through more than one lens coating, albeit
on the lens or filter, couldn't one argue that the light is passing
through "multiple" coatings?"

No! (I hope the person who wrote this was kidding.)

Multicoating refers to multiple layers on a _single_ optical surface.
The purpose of multicoating to reduce the total amount of reflected
light, and do so over a wider range of wavelengths.

I have a wicked, off-the-wall sense of humor, and I appreciate a good
sense of humor in others. But I am lately seeing posts with "reasonable"
questions that are being answered only with wisecracking responses. If
you have time to make a joke, don't you have time to answer the
question?