Re: [OM] Black specks on Focusing screen

Subject: Re: [OM] Black specks on Focusing screen
From: Matthias Wilke <Matthias.K.Wilke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 15:39:53 +0200
Paul wrote:

><< The
> interchangeable screens of OM-1,2,3,4 make it possible to use a clean
> viewfinder all the time. >>
>
>I'm not sure I agree with this. While I would never want to give up my
>interchangeable screens, I find that the act of changing the screen tends to
>invite dust, including, potentially, dust on the pentaprism, which is not a
>problem in a fixed-screen camera. I try not to change screens too often, but
>when I do getting them *really* clean can be maddening! I hate peering through
>specks of dust!
>
>Maybe I should just get a separate body for each screen. Yeah... that's the
>ticket... ;-)

I use different screens for different purposes (8 for mirror lens, 12 for
microscopes, 10 for shift, 3, 4 and 13 for general photography), and if you
change them very carefully, you don't invite dust. Dust at the pentaprism
is not such a great problem, because this dust is out of focus. When
changing a screen, I use a pair of bellows for removing dust from the
screens, I don't use the bellows for the camera, because I don't want to
fix dust in the inner camera. A really dirty screen can be cleaned with
destilled water and detergens (the last rinses should be pure destilled
water) and then blowing away the water with the pair of bellows and waiting
till the screen has dried. Of course a camera with a fixed screen can be
more close against the invention of dust, but for the same reason you can't
remove dust from such cameras.

Matthias