Re: [OM] Black specks on Focusing screen

Subject: Re: [OM] Black specks on Focusing screen
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 08:07:19 -0700
At 04:06 PM 1/18/99 -0800, Frank Costa wrote:
>    Not sure what happened. One morning I picked up my Om10 and saw three or
>four black specks on the screen. Tried canned air to no avail. I don't want
>to venture any further without some advice (I've already ruined a screen im
>the past this way). What is it about screens that makes them so fragile
>anyway?

Frank:

I've wondered the same thing.  The only thing I can think of is that the
screens are made out of a relatively soft plastic which allows for extremely
fine-toleranced machining.  If it's as soft as I surmise, then even a light
cleaning with the wrong tools or methods would scratch it irreparably.  I'm
*really* careful when handling screens, and never use anything else except the
included tools and recommended methods.  Mind you, the cost of the screens
encourages me to treat 'em like gold...

Garth

"A bad day doing photography is better
 than a good day doing just about
 anything else."

The Unofficial Olympus Web Photo Gallery at:

   http://www.taiga.ca/~gallery/